St Michael's, Michaelchurch Escley

 

Quite a large church for a small village, Michaelchurch Escley was restored in the nineteenth century. This was done with a tad more sensitivity than was always the case, although the grim message over the Victorian lych gate is not necessarily encouraging. Apart from that, the most obvious external addition is the west tower from 1897. Inside, the screen is from a similar period, although the Art Deco pews are a little later. The most striking aspect in the church, however, is the medieval wall painting of Christ of the Trades. Details of this can be found at  http://www.paintedchurch.org/micaesc.htm

There is an excting project to restore the existing five bells of Michaelchurch and to add a sixth. For details, go to http://www.bmgparishes.org.uk/michaelchurch-escley-church-bells-project/

 


Our Churches
Webpage icon St John the Baptist, Newton
Webpage icon St Margaret's, St Margarets
Webpage icon St Peter & St Beuno, Llanveynoe
Webpage icon St Mary's, Craswall
Webpage icon St Clydawg's, Clodock